Ukiah Area Services
Trash and Recycling Information
Recycling service is free to all trash customers in the Ukiah area. Businesses and apartment complexes which choose to recycle can obtain, at no extra charge, containers of appropriate size to accept mixed paper and cardboard, glass bottles and jars, as well as plastic and metal beverage containers. Business owners and apartment complex managers, please contact Jennifer Lombari at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free consultation and for help saving money and reducing your waste. Recycling and diversion are encouraged by the City of Ukiah and the County of Mendocino.
Ukiah Valley Transfer Station Buyback Center
- 3151 Taylor Dr., Ukiah
- Monday-Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The Site is closed on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
The Ukiah Transfer Station Recycling Center pays for the following recyclables:
- The Transfer Station operates a state-certified buy-back where customers can redeem containers which have California Redemption Value(CRV). Material brought for redemption must be segregated by product type and separated from other materials.
- Non-ferrous scrap metal — more info
The Ukiah Transfer Station Recycling Center accepts the following recyclables without charge:
- Scrap Metal
- Consumer Electronics (Televisions, computers, monitors, stereos, VCRs, phones, etc.)
- Household batteries
- Automobile batteries
- Motor oil and filters
- Newspaper, cardboard, office paper, food and beverage glass, steel cans, and plastic food, beverage containers, clean film plastic such as grocery bags, plastic wrap and shrink wrap.
- Rigid plastic containers such as 5 gallon buckets, plastic storage containers, resin patio chairs and laundry baskets
The Ukiah Transfer Station accepts the following recyclables for a fee:
- Appliances such as washers, dryers, refrigerators, freezers, water heaters, air conditioners, and dishwashers.
The format and hours of the Salvage Shop have changed.
For more information visit our Facebook page; or give us a call at (707) 234-6400 for current information about the availability of salvaged materials.
Ukiah Recycling Center:
- 1080 Cunningham, Ukiah
- 707-462-9399 Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. & Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The Ukiah Recycling Center pays for the following recyclables:
- The Ukiah Recycling Center operates a state-certified buy-back where customers can redeem containers which have California Redemption Value (CRV). Material brought for redemption must be segregated by product type and separated from other materials.
- Nonferrous scrap metal.
Ukiah Auto Dismantlers:
- 500 Pinoleville Dr., Unit D, Ukiah
- Will accept non-ferrous scrap metal and car batteries.
For a fee will accept:
- scrap iron
Curbside Trash and Recycling Service
C & S Waste Solutions (Inside City Limits):
- Ukiah City Hall, 300 Seminary Ave (new residential service).
- 4000 North State St., Ukiah
Empire Waste Management (unincorporated Ukiah area):
- 450 Orr Springs Rd., Ukiah
Curbside pickup service available: trash and recycling pickup for aluminum cans, glass bottles, jars, plastic bottles, newspaper, phonebooks, magazines, cardboard, boxboard, junkmail, white paper, and rinsed milk cartons.
HazMobile accepts these items: aerosol cans, antifreeze, asbestos, batteries, brake fluid, corrosives, flourescent lights, gasoline, glues, herbicides, medicines, motor oil, oil filters, oven cleaners, paint, paint thinner, pesticides, photo chemicals, poisons, polishes, pool chemicals, propane canisters, and solvents.
Excluded items include: flares, ammunition, explosives, radioactive wastes, compressed gas cylinders larger than 5 gallons.
The HazMobile is open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. every Tuesday and Wednesday, and second Saturday of the month. It is also open some additional days as shown in the HazMobile schedule .
For information on acceptable material and limits, please check out our HazMobile Info
Please contact the Mendocino County Recycling Hotline at 707-468-9704 with any further questions.
Thrift Stores are also a Recycling Opportunity
Goodwill– Donations only – some items not accepted (keyboards, medical equipment, bed pillows; other restrictions may apply depending on the attendee accepting the donations)
1005 N State St, Ukiah
Nifty Thrifty– Solely clothing donations but has to be really good condition; store credit or cash
1212 S State St, Ukiah
Ukiah Senior Thrift
– Donations only but will loan out medical equipment, have to call for what is offered – don’t take tv’s
497 Leslie St, Ukiah
Labels Resale Boutique– Donations but nothing older than 5 yrs unless it is antique, Consignment and will trade donation for store credit.
200 S State St, Ukiah, CA 95482